Proven areas of expertise:
- Project manager working with domestic & international stakeholders
- Six-figure+ budget management
- Leadership roles within multi-million dollar organizations
- Content development and marketing strategy
- Community growth and strategy
- Moving images and audio storytelling production management
- Brand and sponsorship-focused content creation
Digital Programming Manager
Responsible for Esports programming across Red Bull-owned media properties as well as the distribution of Red Bull-created content across third party and social channels.
- Management of a six-figure budget within a multi-million dollar leadership group.
- Cultivate relationships with sponsored athletes and teams, video game developers and production partners to make content unique to the Red Bull brand.
- A primary stakeholder of multiple six-figure budget video projects, responsible for the creative execution of the asset, programming across owned- and third-party video distribution channels, and social strategy to ensure success.
- Led social strategy, with engagement of over 100 million impressions in 2016 and goal-breaking increases of 30% increase of followers across social platforms on Facebook and Twitter; this in addition to developing successful plans for Snapchat and Instagram tied to Red Bull-owned events and broadcast on the main Red Bull global channels.
- Managed an editorial team developing premium content for RedBull.com, seeing year-over-year increases in US traffic visits in excess of 110%.
- Primary contact for production partners, managing tight budgets and creating compelling content for the Esports community.
Director of Editorial and Community
- Managed a global community of thousands of game developers, investors and executives
- Crafted weekly campaigns, including critical internal memos, marketing blasts and newsletters, achieving an average 40% open rate / 10% open rate / 25% click rate
- Developed marketing materials, including sales and sponsorship marketing, press releases, media blasts and promotional art as part of marketing team for Gaming Insiders business development conferences
- Managed invites and lists for sponsored dinner events around the world
- Organized event and program for business development conferences, which result in strategic partnerships and six-figures+ in sponsorship dollars
Feature Content Director
Developed all long-form editorial content for Joystiq.com, including the acquisition of features from guest editors. Acted as on-camera host, producer and editor for original video content and creator/host/co-host of the Super Joystiq Podcast (130+ episodes). Managed a remote team, acting as curator for news coverage and copyeditor.
- Curated video content and developed community outreach strategies, increasing YouTube subscriptions by 93% and boosting year-over-year views by 382% in 2014
- Increased impact of the brand through various community outreach and management initiatives, boosting social shares of original video content by 901% on Facebook, Twitter, G+ and more year-over-year in 2014
- Helped grow and expand audience of 300 million annual page views, 14 million unique visitors in 2014, 33 million total monthly visits
Produced original news content, reviews and features. Implemented and executed a more streamlined, efficient newsroom operation. Managed an international team of writers. Initiated a focus on original video content, acting as producer and on-camera talent.
- Helped redesign and relaunch the Shacknews website and brand
- Developed community outreach program to combine its legacy forum (est. 1996) with editorial content, increasing community interaction by 57% in 2011
- Co-hosted iTunes Award-Winning podcast Weekend Confirmed
Bachelor’s, Public Relations
Xav de Matos works too hard, too late and on too many things, usually without anyone’s insistence. His obsessive work ethic and tireless scrutiny has spread to writing, video editing, streaming, podcasting – just about everything that can be wielded as commentary on games.
Xav is not only a talented and knowledgeable writer (though he very much is that), he’s also one of the most professional guys you’re likely to work with.
If he says it’ll be done, it will be.
Xav de Matos is a talented writer, podcaster and video producer whose creative energy is a delight to have around the Joystiq network. He is quick to volunteer himself for new projects enthusiastically and his professional self-motivation always ensures they’ll be completed at high quality.
Whatever Xav does, he always strives to make it the best it can possibly be. No matter what the task, he attacks it with passion and attention to detail.
His writing is always engaging, neatly combining a deep knowledge of the industry with a relatable sense of humor. Xav has strong ideas and will fight for them, but he always places the importance of the project first and is thus always open to discussion and critique.
I’ve had the pleasure of collaborating with Xav who in 2016 helped deliver an eSports focused Instagram Story to our Red Bull Instagram platform. I leaned heavily on his expertise in bringing the project to life. The successful format garnered nearly 2MM views in 24-hours.
Xav is a pleasure to work with and a true team player.
Xav is one of the people that taught me what it means to be a writer. He’s one of the hardest working men I know in this industry, as well as a great leader. Whoever picks him up will be lucky to have him.